Monday, May 13, 2013

Chapter 9: It's starting to sink in...


Chapter 9: It’s starting to sink in

Yes, I believe this week it is finally sinking in that I am a missionary! This has both good and bad meanings. Bad? I definitely am going to miss my family for the next year and a half. Good? I love being able to share the Gospel with the people here in Barcelona. There’s no other time in my life where I will have anything similar. For instance, we contacted a man in a wheelchair the other day. He said he had heard about the church a lot, and would really like to attend on Sunday. Well, unfortunately we found out that he lived in the Hospitalet zone, so we had to give him over to the Elders there. One of the Elders, though, and been in the same area about a year ago, and had just gotten back. When we told him about the man, he said he would go call him. Turns out, he had contacted the same man the year previous, knew he was interested, but had lost him and had no way of contacting him! Little did we know this miracle would happen on one of our really hard days. Yes, Hermana Wilson and I had just tried to go to two appointments, and neither appointment had shown up. So we were a little bummed trying to contact in the street for the last hour or so. We were on our way to another appointment when we came across this man. God was definitely guiding our footsteps during that time. By the way, the next appointment -  cancelled on us right before we walked to the doorstep after 45 minutes of travel. (That was the last straw!) So, to drown our sorrows we went to good old fashion McDonalds (I know, the first time I have eaten there for years) and then went and got ice cream. It was definitely needed. haha Speaking of food, it has definitely taken some getting used to. For instance, as I am walking down the street I notice all the little cafes say: Bikini 2 euros.  I am just thinking to myself, "Why on earth would they be selling bikinis in cafes??" Well, when I was eating dinner at a member’s house, they asked me if I would like a Bikini. And again I just thought of all things for a member to ask me!! Turns out, bikinis in Spain are really paninis--the little sandwiches. I had a good laugh over that one. Much of our week has been going all over the place. A member asked if we would accompany her on a walk (which turned out to be a 2 hour straight speed walk), we had a few appointments with investigators, and of course the mission is getting ready for our big mission tour this week. My favorite investigator, Francisco (is it bad to have favorites?) is so great and attended church again, is diligently reading the Book of Mormon, and praying to find out if it is true. I can’t wait to see what the future will bring for him. For p-day, we went to the Arc de Triunf (yes that is spelled right!) Turns out they have a beautiful one here in Spain and it has the most beautiful gardens behind it with exquisite fountains and is just so lush. We had a picnic there with a bunch of missionaries and had a great time. I loved being able to call home on Mother’s Day to see my families´ beautiful faces. I love you all so much!! Sometimes, ok all the time, I wish you were here to see it with me. Love you!!

Hermana Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment