Monday, September 2, 2013

Chapter 25: Platinum Grand Finale

Chapter 25: My Platinum Grand Finale

It was Wednesday night, and we had been meeting with Francisco and his wife all week. I had a suspicion that this would be my last week in Barcelona, so I have been praying for one last miracle. Well, my spirits were definitely down after we walked out of a meeting with Francisco and he said he had doubts about Joseph Smith and modern prophets. Where did that come from?? He was doing just fine last week! So, we talked to him about the Book of Mormon and prayer and he said he still wanted to wait to be baptized until more like November. 
Not on my watch.
So, I told him, "Francisco, we are still going to plan on your baptism this Saturday. I know that if you read the Book of Mormon and pray with real intent tonight, you will receive an answer that this is exactly what God wants for you." After saying that, we left, slightly melancholy. knowing that this baptism may not happen. When Hermana Shaffer and I got back to piso, she told me, "Hermana Hopkins, I think we need to fast." At this point, I was being slightly negative, and I just thought to myself, "Sure, let´s just add starvation on top to my disappointment." I quickly threw that thought away and realized that if I fasted, God was going to give us a miracle.
And boy did He deliver.
The next morning we felt impressed to call the Allreds, a senior couple serving here who are just the sweetest things and are fluent in Spanish, to come with us to our lesson with Francisco that night. Hermana Shaffer was supposed to be on an intercambio, but the plane she was going to go on was filled. Heavenly Father knew we both needed to be there for this visit! 
So, we got to his house, and the lesson was going just as usual until Hermana Allred bore her testimony. It was one of the most powerful testimonies I have ever heard. She told about how she was the only member in her family, and it has been a miracle for her to have the gospel to help raise her children. We had just been explaining the Restoration of the church, and then she added her testimony of the prophet Joseph Smith. Francisco´s wife had tears flowing down her face, and  Francisco just looked at us and said, "Hermanas, I received an answer that I know I need to be baptized. I know this is what God wants for me, and I know that everything is true, and I can´t deny it any longer." We had brought with us his baptismal clothes to try on, and he and his wife just started crying. Hermana Shaffer told him, "You will be as clean as these white clothes." So, Saturday morning we got ready for one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. We filled the font (the hot water was broken so we went 5 hours early to add boiling pots of water to the cold font.) and then he got there and everything went beautifully. Hermana Shaffer and I sang "Love at Home". I realized that I wanted Francisco baptized so bad that I didn´t realize a couple months ago that we needed to go back and work with his wife. This gospel is for families, and God wasn´t going to give Francisco an answer until his wife was supportive, and he was ready. During the baptism, his wife, Maria, just cried and whispered to us, "I am so happy, and sad at the same time. My husband is closer to God and can bless our family, but I can´t yet. I need to be baptized too." What a miracle!! After the baptism, the bishop invited him to bear his testimony. He got up, and had written a letter addressed to Hermana Shaffer and I and the other ward members. It was a beautiful letter about how he had learned to receive answers from God. I just sat and bawled. haha It was the perfect way to end my time here in Barcelona. It´s been one of the hardest things I have ever done saying goodbye, but I know that God needs me some where else right now. Which leads me to the next exciting news.
Saturday night at exactly 9:41 pm. we received a call from President. President never calls to tell us about transfers...unless....
Oh. My.
The conversation went as follows:
"Hermana Hopkins."
"Yes President?" 
"You have done some great work here in Barcelona, and we think that you are ready and worthy to be a Trainer." 
"Alright President, I would love to be."
"Oh and Hermana Hopkins, you will be serving in Castellón. No Hermanas have ever been there, and you will be white washing the area."
Me: "..........ok President.........." 
I am incredibly nervous, but I know that if that´s what the Lord wants me to do, well one He must have a good sense of humor haha, and two, He knows there are people there that need me. 
Sunday was a great, and soggy day haha We went to go pick up Feily like we do every Sunday, and there comes her Dad. He came to church for my last week. He just was like, "Hermana Hopsheenz (that´s how he pronounces my name--it´s my favorite haha) you better not leave me alone in the church, because this is big for me. haha" I was just so happy!! Then when we got there, Francisco was given the Holy Ghost, and ordained to the office of a Priest. I can already see the blessings God are pouring down to him. I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve in this wonderful ward. I love them all so much, and even though I will miss them, they will always be close and dear to my heart. It truly was a Platinum Grand Finale. 
Hang on Castellón, here I come. 

Les Quiero (and wish me luck, I am going to need it.)

Hermana Hopkins


No comments:

Post a Comment