Monday, November 11, 2013

Chapter 35 Boomin Brazilian Baptism

Chapter 35: Boomin´Brazilian Baptism

            This week, my companion and I were working on finding two new investigators everyday. It seemed like a really big goal, but we put our faith in God and got to work. So Wednesday, we had a day packed full of visits and potential new investigators, and every single one of them cancelled. Yes, every single one. It was awful.  We just roamed the streets, half heartedly contacting people. Yes, I realize this is not the attitude a missionary should have, but it was a bad day.  So, we had one cita left, and we were super excited for this young Spaniard that we found. So, we invited one of the young adults to go with us, and then we walked to his piso....and he wasn´t there. I was about ready to...I don´t even know. But then, the young adult said, “Well, I know that one of my friends used to live in this building. Let me call him and see if he would like to listen.”  Not only did he want to listen, but he said, “Alright, let´s go pick up my other friend and maybe he would be interested as well.” We were in shock. Just like any other Spaniard, we went to go get tapas and discuss the gospel.  It was really such a miracle. Although we didn´t meet our goal....or come close to actually, the Lord blessed us to have the faith to continue our crazy week. 
Oh and yes, Thursday morning we met with Aglaice,and it was the moment of truth. We talked about her goal to be baptized this Saturday and asked how she was doing with the Word of Wisdom. She told us, “I was with my friends one day, and they all went to a bar. They all were asking me, even more than usual to drink some beer. I told them that I had to go home and study something, and I couldn´t. The next day, I went out again and saw my friends outside the same bar smoking and drinking, and they invited me even more than the previous day to join them.” Then she just looked up at me with this sad expression on her face, and my heart plummeted. However, she continued, “I almost did, but then I felt this light or pull from God to help me resist. I told them that I was preparing for my baptism and that I couldn´t do that anymore. They told me I was crazy and that this church has way too many restrictions. And I told them that they only tell you to not put harmful substances in your body—that we need to eat healthily. And the bartender overheard and said he respected my decision to follow God, and will have a Fanta or Pepsi waiting for me whenever I needed it.” My jaw was about on the floor at this moment—just last week she was struggling so hard with the word of wisdom, and now she was an advocate for it! It was a blessing straight from heaven, and she had her interview that night, and was ready to go for her baptism on Saturday. Now, I knew that it was too easy...This never happens the week before baptisms. Yet, Friday came and went, and Saturday morning came. So far so good...her baptism was at 12:00, so we had to get to the church pretty early to fill the font. Now, the font is a blue little swimming pool thing supported by metal bars that the Elders have to put up and down every time there is a baptism. Plus, I learned from the last baptism that it leaks. So, we tightened all the corners, and put mops underneath the font to try to stop the leakage. Again, so far so good. Aglaice came on time, got her baptismal clothes on, and we took pictures. So far so good. Then we started the baptismal program, which was very sweet. So far so good. Then, it was time for Hermana Jarman and I to sing. We got up and sang “Where Can I Turn for Peace” since it was one of her favorite songs. We got through the first verse and started the second when we hear this BOOM coming from the font. Oh no. Everyone jumped out of their chairs, and one of the little kids there yelled out, “Did I hear a dinosaur??” One of the Elders went to go assess the situation, and by this time Hermana Jarman and I were just standing in the front dumbfounded, unable to comprehend what was going on. Then, about a minute later, BOOM. The metal supports the held the font up were exploding because they forgot to turn off the water. The Elders sprinted out of the room to turn off the water, and the relief society president calmly says, “Hermanas, will you continue your song.” I was just trying not to laugh at this point. It could not have been a better song to be singing. We finished the song, and it was a beautiful baptism. We were so blessed! The next day she was confirmed a member, and it was so cute. As soon as she sat down, she said, “I want to pay tithing, where and how can I do that?” It was a hard journey, but it was so great.
            Also, we were teaching Fernando, our batman from the Dominican Republic. I just have no other words to describe his voice. Haha He sounds like batman with an accent from the Dominican Republic. He´s had a pretty hard life, and so we taught him the Plan of Salvation. I think it´s my favorite lesson to teach because it just makes sense! I love seeing the understanding that fills people´s eyes when you teach the Plan of Salvation—that their life has a purpose. At the end of the lesson, we had this grown man just crying. It was such a tender moment. He said he would pray about being baptized this month. I love Dominicans.  Most of our investigators were busy this week, so we didn´t get to meet with very many of them, but the lessons we had were so great, it made me realize how excited I am to be a missionary at this time right now. I love this church, and even though it´s hard sometimes, I know it´s true with all my heart. Thanks for all the prayers for Aglaice; I know it´s what was the difference in helping her overcome her addictions.

Les Quiero!

Hermana Hopkins 

No comments:

Post a Comment