Monday, June 30, 2014

Ch. 67 The Spirit of the Church

Chapter 67: The Spirit of the Church

You know you are going to have a good week when it starts by getting pulled over by an undercover cop. It´s great to pull jokes on new missionaries to the area when our bishop is a police officer...and he has been planning this one for at least a month. I got a call when we got into Vilafranca from the Bishop, and when I answered, I had instantly changed into secret agent mode.
“Hermana, say `Hello Paco.´”
“Hello Paco.”
“Now say, How are you Paco.”
“How are you Paco?”
“Good. Now. I am behind the bridge. Lead your companion down there, and be serious. OK?”
“Ok”
I was trying to not break a smile; it was so hard!
“Now Hermana, ask me if we still have an appointment for 7 o clock. And then say good bye Paco” I repeated it, and led my companion down into the trap. As soon as I saw Bishop, I almost started to laugh. I could do this. He walks up to us non-chalantly and flashed his badge. I had to look away, because I almost laughed. He said, “Where are you going with all this luggage ladies?” I explained to him that we were going to our piso, we were missionaries from the United States, etc etc—playing it cool. My companion just stared at me like this could not be happening. He asked for our passports and residency cards, and he just muttered, “I knew it.”
“You know what?” My companion replied, looking slightly annoyed.
“This face is on our wanted list for drug dealing, and the name matches up.”
I almost broke my straight face right there. Oh my goodness, I was dying on the inside. My companion looked absolutely horrified, especially when Bishop continued, “I bet all this luggage is full of drugs, I am going to have to call in back up.” I tried to make it look like I wasn´t laughing, so I tried to look like I was on the verge of panic. (My companion later told me she thought I was going to cry, so acting may be in my future thank you, thank you haha) Anyway, the joke continued. My companion was getting more and more frustrated. She was trying to get his attention, “Hey, Hey! Excuse me! I am not dealing drugs! I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ. I AM NOT A DRUG DEALER.” I couldn´t take it. I had to turn around. Bishop finally “hung up” the phone, and asked to speak with our representative. I told my companion to call our Bishop, and she said ok, took the phone, and it was the best thing ever. She turned her back and started explaining the situation the best she could in her broken Spanish, and didn´t realize for at least two minutes that our bishop was standing two feet away from her. Bishop couldn´t hold it in anymore and he blurted out. “Hermana, I don´t think the police officer would think you were dealing drugs if you buckled your shoes right.”
“WHAT??” My companion whisked around, and we a good, long laugh. Then the Bishop became our much needed taxi. She had a lot of suitcases. It was hilarious.
As far as the week goes, I didn´t realize how large our area was until I had to show it to someone who had never seen it before. It was a little hard to try to explain to her exactly why we needed to sprint to the bus to catch the one that went to Vilanova at 3:35 so we could get the train that leaves Vilanova to get to Cubelles at 4,10. Welcome to Vilafranca´s area. Oh well.
I am often worried about the work the first week of transfers, but we saw one of the greatest miracles in my entire mission. Remember our sweet “ex-Jew”, Marta? Well, we went over to her house this week, and it was incredible. We decided to watch the Restoration video so she could actually see it, and she opened right up. We asked her if she had been able to read any of the Book of Mormon, and she looks at us and says, “Only a little bit....” We asked her where she was, and she replies, “I am just starting Mosiah.” Are you serious?? We were just with you a week ago, and you think that is just a little bit? My mouth just dropped open. Then we asked her if she enjoyed church, and she replies, “Hermanas, I have something to tell you. When I went into church, I had a little bit of a closed mind....when I left, I have never felt happier. It´s a feeling that I just can´t explain. I felt like I had someone with me, guiding me all week. I felt something that I can´t deny, and I want it for ever. Hermanas, how can I be baptized??” I just stared at her...what did she just ask me?? We explained to her the process, and when she came to church on Sunday, and told the bishop that she has never felt something so strong than when she comes to church. It was such a tender mercy especially since all we did was teach her the Restoration. It just goes to show you how powerful the Book of Mormon is. She told us that when she had read the Jewish Books like the Tora ( I think that´s what it´s called) she had felt nothing, she simply felt nothing. So that is why she asked to be excommunicated from their church—she even had to slit her wrist and have blood fall to leave their church. I am super excited to have the opportunity to be part of her conversion. What a blessing. As for Josep, we are still working on his battle with the cigarettes...except he is sick of peanuts. We´re going to have to get more creative....
I am just so happy to be a missionary here right now. Everyone is telling me that I don´t have very much time left, but I still have so much to do!!  Pray for Marta and Josep!!
Les Quiero!!

Hermana Hopkins  


No comments:

Post a Comment