Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Ch. 72 Slam Dunk

Chapter 72: Slam Dunk
"Hermanas! I have an 'ideal' investigator for you", Edmond exclaimed in the middle of the lesson. We just looked at the strange outburst of our little African investigator with a puzzled look on our faces. We had just finished teaching him about Joseph Smith, so slightly confused, we replied, "Yes?" 
"After we are done with the prayer, we can go visit my friend and his mom that are always in this park. They don´t believe in God, and they need to believe in this. Is that ok with you?" We told him we would love to meet his friends, and after we had finished the lesson, we were led briskly down the road to go visit Edmond´s friends. We have been teaching Edmond´s family for a couple months now. (His parents are the ones that fed us the African food). Edmond is only 10 years old, but he is so mature and smart, and just has the happiest personality. We love teaching him, and he loves to be involved with the church. The parents have a really positive view of the church, but....let´s just say they are a little hard to make commitments with. So when they say, "See you Sunday!" We know it really means, "See you the next time you catch us at home." haha I guess everyone has something to work on... Anyway, we got to the park and the mother and son were nowhere to be found. So, we sat on the bench next to our disappointed African boy. He had a Book of Mormon in his hand already to go (can you say hello future missionary??), when he looked up and saw another friend playing basketball. He looked at us with a sly look on his face and said, "Hermanas. You are from the United States...do you play basketball." I just smiled and replied, "Yes, I know how to play." He looked over again and asked us, "Well....what if we played with my other friend while we wait for my friend and his mom to get here." I looked down at my pencil skirt and dress sandals......
"Ok. Let´s go." 
So we started playing a little game, and that´s when everyone in the park saw two Americans playing basketball, and naturally, everyone wanted to play against the American girls in skirts. Let me just say it was hard, but we made America proud. :) haha Even some parents came over and played! We had a good game going when we realized we were going to be late for our next lesson. We agreed we would come back in a couple days to share a message, and everyone agreed to it, and it was even more of a slam dunk because the friend and his mom came at the last minute and said they would be willing to listen to our message too. I was so excited. With starting my last transfer in the mission today, I am glad that I was able to start with a swish. 
Also, this week we decided to give Josep and Angela a challenge. We have been working with them this entire year, and they come to church, but they aren´t really in the process of conversion since they say they don´t have the faith to pray or read their scriptures. So, we wrote them individual letters and explained that if they read and pray together every day for a month, they would see a miracle with their family. They accepted the challenge, so please be praying that they are able to recognize the miracle that God puts into their lives!! Marta as an update is doing wonderfully. She is progressing and really wants to keep learning. She loves planning things with the young adults, and they are all best friends now. She´s so incredible, and I am grateful she feels like she has a family in the church. 
This week we also started teaching...Qxia Bin. Sorry, no idea how it´s spelled, and yes. yes, we are teaching a Chinese man. Just one more country to check off the list. However, he doesn´t really speak that great of Spanish...or English...so we watch the Restoration in Chinese with Spanish subtitles. He has a lot of potential, and he came to church this week. He is the only member of his family here in Spain and he´s about our age, but his whole family has a Christian background (I thought that was really odd being from China, but cool too). It will be interesting to see how we can further our teaching with him. 
As the final piece of news.....everyone get ready...because your prayers have finally paid off....
I received the news today that CATI AND TONI ARE GOING BACK TO CHURCH!!!
To say that I didn´t scream and jump up and down and cry a little would be a lie. I did all of the above, in the middle of the train station today when I saw my old companion being transferred. So please keep praying for them. I love them so much, and it would be the icing on the cake to finish my mission next month knowing they are back on track. I love you all so much, and I am so grateful for all your love and support and prayers!!
Les Quiero!!!

Hermana Hopkins



No comments:

Post a Comment