Thursday, April 4, 2013

Chapter 3: How My Purse Almost Killed Me


So there I was, in the Metro.  It was P-day, the sun was shining, and we were on our way to the Center of Spain. Being the chivalrous missionary that I am, I let the other missionaries get off first. As I was walking out of the Metro (the equivalent to the subway in New York),  the door shut on me! I was quite literally a Metro oreo, and I was a moment of shear panic. Haha My companion whipped around and like shrieked, and grabbed my arm to try to pull me out of the door. We successfully dislodged my squished body out of the doors in time to turn around and see that my purse, my big, Marry-Poppins-sized purse, still stuck between the doors. I knew the Metro was about to leave, but my life was in that bag!! Quite literally. All my money, passport, ID, etc. You get the idea. With one final tug between my companion and me, we were able to tug my purse free in just the nick of time. The Metro sped off as my companion and I stumbled away. Between the shot of adrenaline and the panic of the situation, we laughed and laughed (almost cried) and laughed some more. What made the situation so much better was a little Peruvian man in the background was laughing even harder than we were. He was honestly doubled over. I have never been so embarrassed in my life. When we were going up the escalators to get to the street level, the Peruvian man tried to sign to me that I need a smaller purse, but he was laughing so I can´t be sure. Hahaha I get the point. So I am on the hunt for a smaller purse. Anyway, last P-day, like I said earlier was so much fun. We went to the geographical center of Spain where there is a BEAUTIFUL park and statue of Don Quijote. I have pictures. J Then we went to an Egyptian temple that they brought from Egypt—obviously. Haha  It was soooo…disappointing. Haha I mean it was great if you like a bunch of clay blocks with holes in the wall. But I took some pictures of the hieroglyphics for Padre.   Then they let us off in the shopping district of Spain. My companion and I were not about to pass up that opportunity! However, we only came back with a single crepe.  It was an absolutely delicious crepe, but it wasn´t  a purse haha. Also, we went to Sol which is like the equivalent of Times Square, and I saw Mickey Mouse! Ah! haha
The best part of the entire week was proselyting at the Parque Retiro. I had another companion, Sister Griffin, on a split. She doesn´t speak Spanish. At all. So I knew we would need a prayer. After we prayed, we just went out and proselyted! Get this mi familia y amigos, we gave out 8 Books of Mormon, got 5 references, and had 28 contacts. We were sooooo blessed. The most incredible experience was this little Spaniard lady came running up to us and said in broken English, “I know you. I know you two.” WOW! I was reminded of when Aunt Kathy told me there were people I promised on the other side of the veil that I would come down and teach. We continued to talk to her and wanted to know where we met for church, and we gave her a Book of Mormon. If I don´t get another experience like that on my mission, then I will be satisfied knowing I was able to be a part of her life.  We had another way cool experience as well. We went and talked to this girl that looked like she was in college, and she was like “Ya I am just looking for a religion right now”. Golden. We started talking to her and introduced her to the Book of Mormon—in Spanish might I add—and I got this strong prompting to bear her my testimony, and this random thought came into my head to tell her that Christ loved her specifically. I did so, and her face completely changed, and she accepted the Book of Mormon and started reading it right there. Incredible. We continued to have experiences like that for the rest of the day, but I don´t have time to write it all. Also, after we were finished, all the missionaries gathered in the Center of the Park and sang called to serve, I am a child of God, and Onward Christian Soldiers. The Spirit was strong that I thought we would convert the Park. Then came Easter. It was so bitter sweet. My companioin and I had the Spanish flu, ok so it was just a cold, and so we were sick all day. It was so spiritual though all day. And I had two tender mercies. 1. Usually we have crazy food, but we had roast, mashed potatoes, and Sister Sitterud (bless her heart) made us sugar cookies. Just like Home J Then the presidency of the CCM sang Consider the Lillies, and we all bawled. Two of them were in the MOTAB, and it was gorgeous. Then we watched a video of Christ and it was so powerful. They depicted an angel that came to comfort Christ in the Garden while he suffered, and I wrote this poem. It´s not great, but I thought you might all like to read it:
When Christ went into the Garden of Gethsemane,
He knew he would suffer there for all in agony,
Yes, the greatest of all began to bleed from every pore,
And trembled from the pain he so meekly bore.
I hope I was an angel to stand with him there,
To bring some peace and comfort from heaven to share.
I hope that in that moment He knew my love for Him,
Even though the night was long, and the light so dim.
When Christ´s disciples couldn´t watch Him through the night,
I hope my presence he could feel as he endured my fight.
Now I stand in need of Christ every moment of the day,
I fall, but through my Savior, I know there is a way.
Because I know all He did that night so long ago.
 I stand to serve him here my courage now a glow,
Yes, I will share His gospel to all his children here,
Because I know Jesus Christ is my strength and is always near.
Yep that´s my poem. :) So I heard two great quotes that pretty much describe my experience here. The first is the days feel like weeks, and the weeks feel like days. That could not be more true. Really. I am already halfway through, but each day has hours and hours of studying that seems to drag on for ever!! haha Luckily I have the next quote that helps me out. It was Elder Cluff in my District (Mom, I believe you have been talking to his mom on missionary moms?) anyway he said this, "My district is my family; the Lord is my light; Home is my motivation". That could not be more true. I love everyone in my district. haha Just a few more details about the CCM. This week I was very adventurous, by force, with what I ate. Yes, I had sauteed bouncy balls (they said it was octopus, but I don´t believe them), calamari, and shark. The shark was actually way good. Tasted like tilapia.
Also,  I just got back from my p day activities, which is why I am emailing so late. We just got back from the Museo del Prado. Incredible. Absolutely incredible. It is one of the most important museums in the world. I got to see a few of Goya´s works and see the Las Maninas which is the most important of all the paintings in Spain pretty much. Also got see a couple Rembrants (just for you Padre!). I took a lot of pictures, but I never have time to send them, but I will try. I think that is all for this week. I love you guys sooo much! I love it here, I love the people, and I love the work! (Most of the time).
 
Mucho Amor!!
Hermana Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment