Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chapter 6: Praise to the Man


Chapter 6: Praise to the Man

I can hardly believe that it is almost time to leave for Barcelona! I will leave bright and early Tuesday morning via train (which I am so excited about). This week has dragged a little, but I think it is just because I am so excited to go out and teach the people of Barcelona (or whichever area I am assigned) the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I always thought it was strange when you read about the histories of some of the early missionaries and how they would stand on street corners, proclaiming the gospel to all that would hear, but I completely understand that now.  I seriously just want everyone to hear the words I have to say, feel the spirit, and believe that Christ is our Savior and He has restored his Gospel on the earth once again. However, I found that this desire of mine is going to be a lot more difficult than I thought. Last Saturday, it was proselyting time once again. It is a mix of the scariest and most exciting time of the week since you don´t want to say something that you don´t mean to, but you just are filled with the spirit as soon as you hit the street. There´s not really a feeling quite like it. We were in Goya once again this week, and I was assigned with the same companion I was the first time we went proselyting. At first, I was a little nervous about this since the first time I was with her…it was less than enjoyable, but I was praying for love! If God can touch the hearts of those we are trying to speak with, then he can touch mine, right? Well, there we were on the streets and the first two people we spoke with wanted the Book of Mormon AND wanted to hear more. It was super exciting not only because we found two people who were receptive to our message, but because my companion has yet to receive a reference during our proselyting experience each week. I was feeling pretty good, which is probably why God decided to humble me. Haha For the next hour and a half no one would listen to us. Not a single soul. So get this, we come across this lady who comes up to us and says, “Wait! Missionaries! Stop! I want to talk to you!” I was simply elated…that is, until she opened her mouth again. She proceeded to say as we came over to talk to her (in English), “You people don´t know God! You don´t believe in the right God!” I just stared at her and asked, “Well, who do you believe is the ´right´ God?” And she just looked at me with the a scowl of a menacing bear and said, “I am a Catholic. It is the only true Church and we have the ONLY true God!” My companion jumped in and said, “That´s great! We believe in the same God then!” That did it. She went off for a good five minutes about how all Americans are evil because the pilgrims were all convicts who had to endure indentured servitude and then killed all the Indians. AND because Joseph Smith is American he obviously didn´t learn from the Indians. As I was about to say, “Have a wonderful day” my companion started and said, “Well, the Book of Mormon is about the Indian´s ancestors…” I thought saying that we believed in the Same God sparked something, oh no. I just stood there in a state between amusement and horror as I watched this small little companion of mine try to bear testimony over this woman´s accusations of how we capture souls in our church. Needless to say, she did not want our Book of Mormon. Her loss. I still laugh about it. However, I did not want to end my day on that lovely note with that little miss sunshine. So, we said a prayer that on our way back to the CCM, we would find someone else who would be receptive to our message. Well, God answers the prayers of these missionaries! We were sitting on the Metro, and the first woman we talked to asked where we were from because we looked different (remember, we sparkle ;) ) she wanted a Book of Mormon before we even explained what it was about. The next man who came sat by us asked where we were from. As we were talking (in Spanish this time, might I add) we found out that he was from Peru, I believe, and that he didn´t believe in God. When we asked him why, he said that he didn´t know why. Well, I took out the Book of Mormon and bore my testimony of the divinity of the book, and that if he read it, he would come to know God and Jesus Christ. With tears in his eyes (and I am not just adding that for dramatic effect) he accepted the book and said he wanted to come to church Sunday. Can I just go into the field already?? Haha I was so excited for the rest of the day. Then Sunday came, and it usually one of my favorite days of the week. For our afternoon devotional, we watched the Joseph Smith and the Restoration movie (the same one that plays in Salt Lake). Before we started, the President got up and said, “As missionaries, you will be able to take a different perspective from this movie, and you will feel your testimony grow.” I had already seen the movie a few times, so I didn´t think much of it. However, I was proven very wrong. The entire movie just over and over and over I felt the Holy Ghost testify to me the strength and the divine calling of Joseph Smith. Even his name has taken on a new, sacred significance to me. My testimony echos the words of the hymn, “Praise to the Man”. Wow. After the movie ended, all the missionaries just wept for about 10 minutes without saying a single word. I still can´t quite get over the power of having a room full of missionaries. The rest of my week was not nearly as exciting. Part of our job as being the Training Sisters is having personal interviews with all the sisters in our zone. It has made me love each and every one of them so much! There are some strong sisters here that are going to work miracles, let me tell you. J The rest of the week has been filled with tons of study, yet I still don´t feel like I have a hand on the language. It might be interesting for the first while since in Barcelona they speak Catalan, in Valencia they speak Valencian, and in Bilbao they speak Bask… This will be fun, Also, our Italian´s companion arrived from Argentina this week (yes she speaks not only Spanish, Italian, and English, but she also knows French). And we love them both so much!! They are just a hoot! Sorella (sister in Italian) Lemos helps us with our Spanish and we have a good time. Every night, we still go around to all the rooms and tell them good night, often accompanied by their favorite Disney song haha Apparently, all the hermanas think I would make a great Disney Princess at Disneyland when I get home. I think it was me and Sorella Fossa´s duet of “Once Upon a Dream” from Sleeping Beauty that really gave them the idea hahaha I love all these girls, especially my companion, and I will miss them dearly come next Tuesday. I love Madrid, but BARCELONA here I come!!


No comments:

Post a Comment