Monday, August 19, 2013

Chapter 23 Tug-O-War with the Devil

Chapter 23: Tug-o-War with the Devil

This week was time to get on our work out clothes, because we were preparing to play tug-o-war with the Devil. Let me explain from the beginning. We were having a rough week. I can´t tell you how many times we had the door slammed in our face, spit on, and yelled at on the streets. I thought these kind of things only happened in the cheesy missionary movies that the church puts out. Oh no, they happen. I went through 2 boxes of Nutella chocolate cereal in 5 days to prove it. We were praying for a miracle all week. Then, it happened. We had our cita with no other than Francisco. Hermana Shaffer and I went into this lesson prepared to teach about the importance of church attendance, because we felt like if we could just get Francisco back to church, at least he would be able to progress again. However, we both looked at each other and knew that we should talk about baptism. Again. We were really nervous about this because every time we have tried to set a date with him, he just ignores us until after the date. Well, we decided to follow the spirit, and we saw Francisco change right in front of our eyes. He said, you know what, I think you are right now. Give me two weeks, and I will be ready. So we set the date with him, and left singing the Hallelujah Chorus. My companion and I were so excited that we just ran to the closest, remotely quiet place and sent a prayer of gratitude heavenward for witnessing such a miracle. 
The the next day happened.
In the space of 24 hours, the devil had taken his grasp on the rope of Francisco. 
My companion felt prompted to meet with Francisco again the very next day. She kept saying that she just couldn´t get it out of her head that we should pass by. So we did, and it was so good that we did. Apparently, him and his wife were talking. She was concerned that as big as a covenant as baptism is, that he wouldn´t be able to keep it once they went back to Peru in November. We gave one of the most powerful lessons we have ever taught, and now it is just up to his own agency. I pray so hard for that little man every day. For now, he has just got to choose for himself. I know that he has felt the spirit, and that he knows what he should do, so we have done our part. So, my plead, as usual, is to keep praying for Francisco. 
There are people prepared here in Barcelona, and I am so grateful that I am put into their paths, and I am able to see their personal progression towards the Savior. Sometimes, I feel like as I walk down the streets in Barcelona, I lose my hope for humanity. haha However, although I feel like I am playing tug-o-war with the devil, I have to remind myself that there are more that our with us than there are with them. 
So bring it on.

Les Quiero!

Hermana Hopkins


No comments:

Post a Comment