Monday, August 5, 2013

Chapter 21 The Rose Among the Thorns

Chapter 21: The Rose Among the Thorns

This week was full of miracles, but full of disappointments as well. I guess that has become sort of the norm for this area. BUT can I just scream this from the rooftops: FRANCISCO IS BACK!! Now, before you get too excited--like I did--I think it would be important to mention that he said he would come to church again, but indeed did not. However, I don't even care! He met with us again, and said he would pray about his baptism. We noticed something though: Francisco has a fear of praying for specific things. We asked him to kneel with us right there and pray about his baptism, he agreed, but when he prayed he never once mentioned his baptism. We told him that it is ok to ask for specific things, and he just didn't say anything. So, that is something we will have to work on. But thank you for all the prayers, I know that with time our special little Peruvian will come around! This week was so full, I don't even know where to begin! I had my first intercambio of the transfer with Hermana Haglund again! (Oh my goodness I love that girl!) and we had a day just full of miracles. The first man we talked to on the street said, "Oh, so you are missionaries. My best friend served a mission for you church. All my friends listened to his message and were converted, I guess it is me and my family's time to listen and be converted as well" Why yes, sir. Yes it is! I am really excited to see how that goes. Then we went to our first appointment, but she was sleeping, so we decided to pass by some less actives on the ward list. We got into this huge apartment building and started knocking doors because the one we were looking for wasn't home. On our last door, this timid little latin American woman peeked open the door and almost started crying. I was thinking, "I know that I have kind of let myself go since I have been on a mission, but do I really look THAT bad??" haha Well, she said, "Hermanas I am a member of your church, but have not been able to attend because of my work here. I have been praying for a miracle, and when you knocked on my door I had a thought come to me to open the door because the Savior would be standing there. When I opened the door I found two of his missionaries ready to help me. I am have been aching to hear a hymn. Can either of you please sing me a hymn, and I will know that I can move on." Wow!! The Lord is really watching over the members here! We went in and sang for her, and then left her with a prayer, and she just kept saying over and over that the Lord really does answer prayers. It was so cute. Speaking of answered prayers, we had another huge miracle. Earlier in the week, I was calling some members to make appointments with them so that Hermana Shaffer could get to know the ward, and I accidentally called the wrong number, and it turned out to be this less active member that I have never heard of. I figured since I already got her on the phone that I would get her address down, and we could go visit her. So that night, we went and visited her, and she said, "Hermanas I have to tell you, the night before you called I decided to pray for the first time in a long time. I prayed that the Lord would send me missionaries, because I don't know how to get back to the church and my son is not a member, and I know he needs this in his life right now. The next morning I got a call from Sister Hopkins asking if she could come meet with me." Now, I remind you that I dialed her number on COMPLETE accident because I messed up the number. If that isn't a visualization of the Lord's hands in my life, I don't know what is! I was so excited. Now, this week we went crazy on finding new investigators, because it is really hard, and we found 11 new investigators!! We were so excited, and they all sad they were going to come to church! Well...here comes the sad part of the story. We didn't have one. Not one person showed up for church. So, it was a hard Sunday, especially when Feily wasn't there either! Which was surprising since she said she wanted to come out and help us teach this week, and has been faithful in praying and reading the Book of Mormon...anyway, it was really discouraging that we had worked so hard this week, and no one showed up to church. Then one of the biggest miracles of my life came to pass right before my very eyes. Remember one of my first emails in the mission that one of our less actives is a self-proclaimed Evangelical?? Well our dear sweet, 80 year old, Catalan Rosa showed up to church!!! WHAT?? Now, we have been visiting her every other week pretty faithfully, but lets just be honest. It was like a hopeless visiting teaching, or so I thought. Turns out after our last visit about coming to church and taking the Sacrament, she called the bishop and said she was going to church. When she walked in, her best friend in church just started bawling. It was almost as good as a baptism to watch. It taught me that even when you think someone is just hopeless, don't give up hope because God doesn't! This week we are going to get some of our investigators to come to church, and we are going to keep up the work here in Barcelona!! I am so grateful for all the prayers that are sent my way; I can feel them every day!! 
Les Quiero!
Hermana Hopkins


No comments:

Post a Comment