Monday, July 29, 2013

Chapter 20: Changes

Chapter 20: Changes

This whole week just seemed to go by like a blur. I had to say goodbye to my trainer and dear friend Hermana Wilson, which was really hard. I didn´t have anytime to think about it though, because five minutes later they gave me 2 new missionaries to go out and work for the night to introduce them to the mission. So, my new companion and I, Hermana Shaffer, didn´t really get to be companions until the next day because we took the new girls on splits.  We had a miracle that happened earlier--someone called us and said, "We found your phone number on this card about the Mormon church, and we would like to know more." So I took the new girls to the lesson we had with them, and it was really great. I was really excited that their first night in the mission they were able to experience a miracle of being a missionary first hand. Usually this kind of thing doesn´t happen (OK, almost never). haha  I don´t think the couple was married, so that has put a little bump in the road, but nothing we can´t handle here. :) Then my companion and I finally had sometime to get to know each other two days later after everyone left Barcelona to go back to their assigned areas. I think we will make a great team! In the 5 days that we really had time to work, we found a couple of great new investigators that we are really excited about. It is a little bit of a struggle getting used to a new companion and how they teach and showing her the area (especially when I am the junior companion, so there is a little bit of awkwardness there...haha) but we are hanging in there. In church they asked us to sing for Sacrament meeting two minutes before the meeting began! My companion has a beautiful alto voice, and we got a couple of the Elders to sing with us and we organized who was going to sing what as we were walking up to the microphone. Talk about last minute!! It actually ended up being pretty good, if I don´t say so myself! But the best thing about the week was seeing Feily officially confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She had called us two days before and said that she was really sick, and didn´t know if she would be able to make it. We panicked a little bit because the longer you wait, the longer the devil has time to work on them. So, naturally, we dragged a couple Elders to her house (ok, so they were pretty willing once we asked) and had them give her a priesthood blessing. Needless to say, she was back to normal on Sunday morning. I love the priesthood. :) There is nothing that builds your testimony of God´s love for us more than seeing the promised blessings that come from just a little faith and a lot of prayers. So, sometimes the mission is pretty stressful. In fact, I would say it´s stressful more often than not, but it makes it all worth it when you can just relax and see that it is all in God´s hands. The missionaries definitely have a lot of responsibilities, but God didn´t send us here to fail. So why am I saying these words of wisdom? Because this week I learned that sometimes you just got to take a step back and laugh! My companion was just called as a Training Sister, so she had to go to a meeting today. So, for P-Day, Hermana Peterson and I were on splits took a tourist bus around the city to look at the sights as the salty sea breeze hit our faces. It was absolutely wonderful!! What a great city I am in! I love Barcelona!! So although change can sometimes be difficult, I am so grateful that I have my beautiful city to fall back on to.
Les Quiero!!
Hermana Hopkins


No comments:

Post a Comment