Monday, July 22, 2013

Chapter 19: A White Dress

Chapter 19: A White Dress


            This week was completely centered around Feily, the newest member of the church here in Barcelona!! It seemed like such a miracle that we were able to finish teaching her all that we needed to, and have her interview, and her baptism before my companion leaves for Utah this Wednesday. She was so prepared though! We taught her the Law of Chastity and the Word of Wisdom as one lesson, and we were thinking, "Wow, this is going to be kind of a heavy duty lesson for a 16 year old..." Well, after we taught her, we asked her if she would be willing to live these two laws. She replied with all her Domincana sass, "Hermanas, it´s a commandment from God, of course I am going to live it; is that even a question??" haha And so followed the rest of the lessons. We had her baptism on Sunday at 6:00 and it was a beautiful scene. When she came out all dressed in white, I had the moment when you realize, "Oh, so this is why I am here." We had all the youth in the ward participate in the baptism program, and then I sang (of course haha) with Elder Wiscombe. The spirit was so strong when she entered the water, she just beamed. She bore her testimony afterwards, and she said, "When the Hermanas first contacted me on the street, I don´t know how, but I knew it was all true, before they even taught me anything. I have been to other churches, but it was like they were trying to teach my new doctrine. I know what the Hermanas taught me was true because it was simply refreshing what I already knew to be true." I never realized before coming on a mission how much the spirit really prepares people, and then puts them in our way. She was so ready, she just needed someone to invite her back. I love that I am staying in my area with my new companion, Hermana Shafer (who I haven´t met yet) so I will be able to continue with Feily and get her pointed towards the temple. I love this gospel and all the blessings it brings. I have loved to see the change come in her life from just the little taste of the gospel she has received from reading Book of Mormon, praying, and coming to church. The gospel is the only thing that has the power to truly make anyone happy. It doesn´t matter what anyone is going through, the antidote will always be gospel of Jesus Christ. Although it is by far the hardest thing I have ever done, I love being a missionary!

Les Quiero,

Hermana Hopkins


No comments:

Post a Comment