Monday, July 8, 2013

Chapter 17: An Angel

Chapter 17: An Angel

I woke up on Thursday morning, and wiped away a lingering tear as I put on my white shirt, navy blue skirt, and red belt. I can still be patriotic while living in Spain.  Yes, you could say that the 4th of July for foreign missionaries is not a very fun day. Especially since on Thursday we have weekly planning for 3 hours in our apartment before we leave for the day. Yes, not my idea of a very fun 4th. However, there was a miracle that helped brighten the night more than any fireworks! In fact, you could say that we were visited by an Angel. Well, technically, we visited an Angel. We received over 50 references from some missionaries that were sent home over a year ago, and so we thought they might be sketchy references, but we couldn´t just let them go to waste! So, we sat down and starting calling them. This is where we found Angel. He answered the phone, and said we could come over. When we went to his house, and said that he has felt really lonely here in Spain since the rest of his family was home in Ecuador (Something I could relate to...haha), and that he feels like he needed something more in his life. We explained to him how the church can bring not only comfort within the gospel principles, but the members of the church are like a family here as well. We then brought out the Book of Mormon, and testified how you can become closer to Christ through reading it. He absolutely loved it!! Usually, our investigators are skeptical at first at the idea of another book besides the Bible, but he was like yes, this finally makes sense!! He was totally receptive to everything about it. I can´t wait until we meet with him again! Especially since he was nothing short of a tender mercy after our struggles with Francisco...Oh Francisco...We thought we would be a little sneaky, and have the Elders call him. He just told them, "I told you guys that I would call when I was ready." Well, I guess we shouldn´t be sneaky or impatient with our investigators, but we had another district fast for him this week, and we all felt at peace and that God was looking out for him. So with patience, we carry on. Actually, let´s be honest. This week, ok more like this month, has been really hard all around. I think the members know this because the Elder´s recent convert came up to us about five minutes after her baptism and said, "Hermanas, I am a member now, so I can have you over to come eat with me!" (We aren´t supposed to meet with other missionary´s investigators, but we can meet with any members within our ward boundaries). She not only had us over for lunch, she took us out to lunch to one of the nicest Chinese restaurants around! She was sooo great! And she is taking us out again this week because she wants to see pictures of our families. She is so great!! So, when Sunday came around, God decided I could use another blessing. I don´t remember if I wrote about this or not, but a few weeks ago, I had to do splits with a member, and we went out and contacted. We contacted a 19 year old girl who seemed genuinely interested in the Church, and said her mom has been looking for it here. Well, weeks went past, and nothing every came of it. Then, during sacrament meeting, this girl comes by and sits excitedly next to me. And I was just thinking, "Uhh...do I know you??" and then it hit me! Ok, so actually she told me that I was the missionary that had contacted her, and she and her mom could finally make it to church! I looked on the other side of her, and sure enough there was her mom!! It was fast and testimony meeting which can either be really good, or really bad depending on the month. haha Fortunately, it was a really powerful month. We looked over and the mother was just bawling during the whole thing! (Usually, I don´t like to see people cry, but since becoming a missionary, it usually is a good sign! haha) After the meeting, she just turned to us and said, "Hermanas, I need this back in my life again." We found out that she actually was baptized, and has just been really inactive for many years. They can´t meet during the week, but they said they would be coming next Sunday as well. As a "greenie" missionary, it was so great to actually see that what I am doing is having an effect on the people here as well. At times I think the trainees think that they are only following their trainer around and because they don´t know what they are doing as well, or can´t speak the language very well, that they aren´t making a difference. It was so great to actually see the fruits of my labors!! I love this work, even though it really is REALLY hard sometimes. This isn´t work for the weak.Haha, but I love being a missionary!  I am so grateful for the continuous support.  I love you all!  And naturally, God bless America

Hermana Hopkins


No comments:

Post a Comment