Monday, February 24, 2014

Ch. 49 New Beginnings

Chapter 49: New Beginnings.

I was slightly looking forward to having the opportunity to be introduced into an area instead of training in an area. There was a lot of pressure to train a new missionary....that was before I got to Vilafranca.  Oh goodness. President told me that they just had three baptisms and that it was a great ward. Well, as I feared, they have only been working with those three people, and now we are left with hardly anyone to teach. In fact, I think we have three investigators total. So, it was back to the streets, back to the doors, but more importantly, gaining the trust of the members. Members are going to have to be crucial in this area because it´s quite small, and quite wealthy which makes for a really hard area. So, we hit the streets running. I love street contacting, and I am not really sure why. Most missionaries find it to be a waste of time, but I kind of enjoy it.  So, I started talking with everyone I saw (there aren´t many people on the street here....haha) and my companion asks me, “You do street contacts?” Oh boy. I replied, “I do everything. And that is what we are going to need to do to get some new investigators!” So, we have been running from place to place finding new investigators. There was one night in particular that was really hard. No one was listening. We were waiting for our train since our area actually covers about 7 towns. It´s huge! But, we were just contacting, and I said a prayer. I was fighting back tears thinking, “Lord, if I was in Castellón right now, I would be running from cita to cita with progressing investigators. If you really want me here to make a difference, than I need a miracle.” And you know what is great about the Lord?? He never ceases to bless us when we ask! We contacted this boy that seemed to be really interested and he seemed great. We went back to meet with him again and he cancelled.   But then we found three girls who all said they are interested to learn more. I know that the Lord works in mysterious ways, but he really does bless us. However, talking to the girls made us lose our train we were thinking of catching. There was one more train that came, but it came earlier than scheduled, and so there we were stuck in Vendrell (a town outside of Vilafranca), alone, with no way of getting home. So we called our mission leader who then in turn called half the ward to see who could come rescue us. So embarrassing! Luckily, we were rescued by this newly wed couple that reminded me of Zach and Tausha.  It was a great way to get to know them better I guess. Half the ward looked very concerned Sunday morning, and I was so embarrassed. I really do know how to make an entrance!! The ward here is actually mostly Spaniards—one of the only wards like this in Spain. It´s organized and feels a little more like an American ward. They have really strong faithful members.  At church we had another miracle. I was thinking that we were going to have to work with the members a lot in this area, and then this member comes up to me and says, “Hermanas come with me. We are going to have a spiritual experience.” um ok....so we followed her out the church door, and walked into the shop next door. She pulls out a Book of Mormon and hands it to the clerk and says, “When I was in here the other day, I felt like you needed a Book of Mormon”. She continued to testify of the Book of Mormon, and the clerk replied, “ I can see that this is really important to you. I will read it.” What?? It was so great, but the greatest part is when she invited us for dinner... there was a nine year old boy at the table who I soon learned was her grandchild. They turned to us after dinner and said, “Hermanas, we have been waiting for the Hermanas to be here to teach my grandchild. He would like to baptized.” Well, if that wasn´t a direct blessing, I don´t know what is!! Not to mention, as we taught him, he is the most prepared nine year old I have ever met. His name is Alex, and he is Catalan, and his mom and dad are inactive. He wants to be baptized now, but he has to get permission. Please pray for Alex!! It´s a hard work here in Vilafranca, but I know the Lord is blessing us. Thank you all so much for your prayers!! Les Quiero,

Hermana Hopkins  


No comments:

Post a Comment