Monday, February 3, 2014

Chapter 46: The Romanian Missionary

Chapter 46: The Romanian Missionary

There we were, just like any other day on the mission when we contacted this little Romanian lady named Dora…and that is where it all started….

This little lady told us about how she was interested in our message and really interested in the Book of Mormon, but that she works in Almassora (a little pueblo outside of Castellón), so we scheduled a day that we could go there during one of her breaks. I was thinking about a member that we could bring with us so that she could have a friend when she came to church, but there wasn´t any members that came right to my mind. However, the answer was almost too obvious. Cathy. But then I thought, “She´s not even a member. How on earth am I going to explain to her everything….she´s still learning even…” And I dismissed the thought, until that night that is. We were visiting Cathy and Tony, and I kept going back and forth with myself. Should I…should I not….should I ask…should I not… So I finally just said a little prayer that God would guide me on the decision. It seems like a little thing, I know, but for some reason I couldn´t get it quite out of my mind. So, at the end of the lesson Cathy asked us, “So I feel like the people here in Castellón are really hard, have you had any success lately?” My companion then relayed to her the story of our little Romanian lady, and Cathy replied, “Well, I´m Romanian and Orthodox; I might be able to relate to her better than you could. Can I come a long as well?” Well, that was my answer. So, I believe we were one of the first missionaries to use an investigator to teach another investigator, but God knows what he is doing. So, we got to Almassora, and I was so upset. The lady was not where she said she would be. Did I honestly drag Cathy all the way out here for no reason?? No, it couldnt´be. So this other lady was sitting on the bench where we were supposed to meet Dora, and we asked them if she knew her, and they did. She said that she could pass by at any time or not at all. Thank you for being so helpful. Well, she was Romanian as well, so we started talking to her, and they walked away….but then another lady who walked past started talking to us, and Cathy started talking to her about the church, and her conversion story. And the tears from this lady just kept flowing. She said she has been looking for truth for years, and her family wouldn´t even let her keep a bible in the house. We gave her a Book of Mormon and Cathy told her how it changed her life, and then pulled out a Romanian Bible from her purse and gave it to her. It was so cute!! I felt like a proud mother, and I thought that it´s a good thing we did end up coming, or else we wouldn´t have been able to help these women, and Cathy seemed really content to be able to help these women. And then the most miraculous thing I have probably ever experienced in my mission happened. Get ready for this.
The lady comes up that we had made the cita with her friend that she brought. Then Cathy invited the lady we were already talking to come over and join us. I felt like a new missionary again—I didn´t understand a word. Haha So there we were this little group of women, then two more women walked by (speaking Romanian) and Cathy waved them over and said, “Hey, we are talking about God, come on over!” So there we were now five new women talking about the church. Then two Spaniards and a Moraccan walked over and joined the club. Eight women….was this really happening? I could hardly believe my eyes. They were all just gathered around Cathy feasting off of her every word (which was now being translated into Spanish) and then one other woman came over. Yes there were nine women now listening to Cathy preaching the gospel. It was kind of like one of those… “be still and know that I am God” moments. I couldn´t stop the tears as I heard the Spanish translation. Cathy told them how she was raised Orthodox, but never fully agreed with all their traditions (such as worshipping images and saints), and how she was always in search for a greater truth. Then, she testified of how she found us and how it changed her life. She said, “My husband used to sin without thought—probably not even realizing that it was sin. He didn´t care about being a righteous father or anything like that. Now she reads the Bible and Book of Mormon with him. He actually cares about what God thinks. It has changed the Spirit in our Home. It has brought us closer to God. I know that I am not doing this for them though, I am doing this because I know it is what God wants for me. God wants me to have an eternal familiy and I know this is the only way to obtain that. That is why I will be baptized in this church.” It was so powerful. I just sat there and cried haha and then one of the ladies asked her and said, “But I have already been baptized, so it doesn´t even matter—what you´re saying only applies to those who are not baptized yet.” And Cathy replied, “I thought I was baptized as well,” and then she pulls out her Romanian Book of Mormon and reads in 3 Nephi 27 about the church of Christ has to have his name. Then she continued, “but now I realize that this is the church of Christ. Read their chapas, they say the church of Jesus Christ. I don´t know everything. I am not even a member yet, but I know this church is true. I know that the Book of Mormon has changed my life, and I know my family can be together forever.” She then said more about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith in Romanian, so I didn´t understand, but the spirit was so strong. Cathy gave us our closing prayer, and then every single one of the women turned to me and begged me for a Book of Mormon. I don´t know exactly what was said the entire time, but I need Cathy to reteach me how to be a missionary. Hahaha I was just in shock. It was like God purposely placed every ready Romanian woman in our path that day. Then, when we got back on the bus she just looked at us with tears in her eyes and said, “Hermanas, I now understand why you are here. I just have all these feelings in my heart. I didn´t want to stop!” It was so great. I could hardly believe it. I love them so much. I probably won´t be able to see them baptized before I leave Castellón, but I know they are headed in the right direction.
            Also, this week we visited the five young girls. The Elders came with us to give the oldest  (the one who suffers from Epilepsy) a blessing, and the mom said she wanted to come out and see it. I was dying because we have barely been able to get her to say Hola to us. After the blessing, she just whispered, “I feel it”. YES!! The Elders left right after, but we stayed and talked to them for another hour about prayer since they all are feeling so alone. The next day, we came back to pick the girls up for church and the oldest told us, “After you left last night, the house was so peaceful. Probably for the first time since I can remember all the girls went right to bed without any fuss. My mom just came in and cried that she could feel the peace that your message brought.” I think the ward is falling in love with the girls as well. They are so cute! Our other investigators are all progressing. Husane keeps getting called into work on Sundays, so that is a big bummer, but it´s a work in progress. He really is developing his faith in Christ and he is down to smoking 5 cigarettes a day. Progress my friends.
We are also visiting a international supermodel. Hahaha Yes, he contacted us through Mormon.org, and said he had a lost of interest in the church. Well, by a lot of interest it means he pretty much knows the ins and outs and every doctrine that we have and has spent hours researching it. We are just trying to get the knowledge that he has into a testimony. But, in the mean time, I am going to need to study topics like Kolob a little more diligently in my personal study.  It was so funny as well he was talking about what really attracts him to our church is that we actually live what we believe. Then he said, “Well, except for some Mormons… like Mitt Romney.” And my immediate thought?? “Take that back!” But don´t worry, I know not to cross that line,  but our member who knows I worked for him didn´t! So he says, “You shouldn’t say that. Hermana Hopkins worked for him.” Hahaha  Oh no. We just laughed it off, and he felt bad, but I thought it was super funny.  The work is definitely progressing here in Castellón. The members are definitely feeling it lately too. We´re going to be seeing a lot of miracles just around the corner! Well, I love you all so much. Espero que tengan una semana maravillosa!
¡Les Quiero!
Hermana Hopkins 


No comments:

Post a Comment